That easy right look at him he’s defeated he’s defeated so eBay and Craigslist are your Data Analyzers friends. now fortunately in Tara’s case he already had a donor drive that looks like it’s gonna be suitable so there’s a couple things to watch for you need the drive model to be the same. so not just this drive model but also this model number right here so these look good and you even need the PCB revision to be the same.
- Now these two are a slightly different color here but that’s not important what matters is that they’re both revision and they both have exactly.
- The same model so these should theoretically be suitable okay now we’re at the point where most amateurs would screw up this kind of a recovery.
- They’d go okay well now we take the good PCB put it on the bad Drive and bip pity off to the races right wrong data density on modern drives is so high.
- That the manufacturing tolerances are nowhere near good enough that every drive will just work out of the factory so they have to build in compensation and calibration.
- That is unique to your individual drive it’s usually stored on a little pin ROM chip that looks like this and that specialized data has to be brought over so want to show us.
How to de-solder and re-solder a ROM chip all right let’s do it let’s not screw these up which ones which D on this one okay we’re good. there’s a pro tip right there Data Recovery my friends better to market first now we’re ready to put the PCB back on and we can go test it right yeah all right here goes nothing it’s not picking up do you want to have a look at it okay so unfortunately sometimes when you hook up to a bad power source it kills more than.
One thing so we fixed our PCB problem but we’re still getting this zero capacity nonsense here and we’re getting kind of like a chirping noise and like drive whispered with the horse. whisperer for hard drives over here and told me that what he thinks is that it’s the preamplifier chip. that right so that’s a component of the drive head which means that we actually need to dig a little deeper on this thing. we’re gonna take it over to the landowner flow workstation and tear it apart so what this station does is it uses a really thick filter.
Here to pull all the dust out of the air and then you’ve got this constant flow of clean air so that none of the contaminated air around us can get into the drive. that’s really important with how close the head is to the platter even the smallest speck of dust could cause catastrophic damage to the platter as .it’s flying over it so now we’re swapping the known good heads from the working drive into our bad drive and actually now.